Friday 20 September 2013

The Love of a Large Family


©Priscilla Etienne Funeography

On Wednesday the large family and even larger community got together to say a final farewell to Dorothy Howlett. To all that knew her well, Dolly. The family come from where I grew up and all of them were at school with me and my brothers and sisters. Taking this picture was emotionally overwhelming for me because I haven't seen them all together like this since I was a young girl. As soon as I was able to gather them together very briefly I took this opportunity. It was unexpected as the family had not commissioned Funeography but they kindly agreed to the picture.

One of the things that I have never seen before was an individual message from each of them inside the order of service booklet. I looked around the church and saw people crying as they were reading the messages. It was lovely to see Dolly's grand sons carry her into the horse drawn carriage, the tallest grandson kissing her coffin tenderly. Once we were inside the church, her sons carried her inside. I could see the clear pride on everyone's faces. 

Once back at the house I looked around, and in each room I could see the brothers and sisters coming in and out, with various friends behind them. I could hear laughter, arguments, singing, and even saw myself standing in the kitchen with Dolly's youngest daughter, in the days when we wore belts for skirts. It really was an open house with so much warmth the house practically glowed.

I would like to thank the Howlett family for opening their minds to the wonderful idea of a family portrait outside the beloved house they all once, and still do call home.

I dedicate this blog to Jim and Dorothy Howlett. Together again and watching over the wonderful legacy you both created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments that I am always interested to read.